Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Album Review: The Audreys "Between last night and us"






Tristan Goodall - reso-phonic, acoustic & electric guitars, banjo
Toby Lang - drums, harmonies
Taasha Coates - voice, melodica, harmonica, ukelele, piano
Mikey G - violin, lap steel guitar, harmonies
Lyndon Gray - upright bass & electric bass, harmonies


I have no reservations saying that The Audreys are the best band I have heard in ages. They sound kind of country/bluegrass but being from Australia I will invent a new genre. Call it "bushgrass" - a dry, aromatic, and lovely sound. If you get a copy of this album thank your lucky stars. If you can't, try harder.

How did I find out about The Audreys? Well, I was watching a great mini-series called Rain Shadow (a good way to spend 6 hours in front of the television as well) and I couldn't get over just how good the music was so when the credits rolled I had to see who was responsible for such a great soundtrack. The responsible party: The Audreys. I thank the producer or whomever I have to thank for having such great choice in music. Thank you.

Back to the review.

At this point I typically announce what my favorite tracks are on an album. No so with "Between last night and us." This album is so good that the mood you are in will determine the "favorite" track. Currently "Long Ride" is my favorite. It has a yearning fragile tone with beautiful vocals with hauntingly spare instrumentals that work perfectly with the lyrical sentiment. I don't want to be unseemly and gush too much but even the the way they enunciate, pause, and breathe is just right. I challenge anyone to listen to this song and not be transported somewhere else for four minutes and thirty-four seconds.

The next song I want to bring to your attention is "Banjo & Violin" which is a lounge-y confessional.

For those, like me, who don't listen to music like this (except for standard faire Cowboy Junkies) "Banjo & Violin" lets you know that it's all good (I've gone a bit country since I met you baby/I used to be so rock 'n' roll). In fact, if you have a copy of "Between last night and us" handy why would you listen to anything else? Especially when you can listen to "Susanne," another track that I can't listen to enough. It's a bitter ballad with haunting vocals by Coates and mesmerizing instrumental accompaniment.

I could say more but I won't. I won't talk about their singles or their awards or anything like that. (I'll let wikipedia do that.) What I will say is that The Audreys are in and of themselves a great reason to visit Australia. If I had the money I would find the time. I can't begin to even imagine how great they must sound live. If anyone out there has seen them please let me know if are as good live as I think they are. I am positive that I won't be disappointed and I am positive that everyone else should pick up this album, put on the headphones, lay back and be transported to a musical landscape you won't soon leave.

Between last night and us receives: a numerical rating of 4.225 but a personal rating of 5.0



Note: The Libertine and I employ different rating schemata. I rate individual songs on an album on a scale of 0-5 and then take the average. Here is how I arrived at my rating:
1. You & Steve McQueen - 4.5
2. A Little More - 3.8
3. Oh Honey - 4.0
4. Pale Dress - 3.7
5. Banjo & Violin - 4.5
6. Long Ride - 5.0
7. Nothing wrong with me - 4.2
8. Where are you now? - 4.2
9. Susanne - 4.5
10. Come on In - 4.3
11. Monster - 3.7
12. Don't Change - 4.3

Total: 50.7/12 = 4.225
I believe in the artist's right to album integrity (exemplified by Radiohead’s refusal to release their catalogue for purchase on a track by track basis).However, not every band is created equal. Same goes for songs. As we all know, some albums have only 1 or 2 good songs. I want to be able to show my readers which tracks are the "stand outs" in case they don’t want to, or can’t afford to, purchase an entire album. Every rating system is inherently subjective and a number, no matter how it is derived, can't definitively capture whether an album is good, bad, or in the middle. If you don’t agree with my review, I welcome your comments or email and am open to reconsider my initial views.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page