Thursday, September 4, 2008

Walkmen -- You and Me

There was a time I thought the Walkmen would be the best band in America. That they'd release an album that I would love as much as Boxer. 2002's Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone had an such an immense amount of potential that I thought they'd surely become my favorite band. In 2004 they released 2004's Bows + Arrows which was so spectacularly uneven--The Rat, Little House of Savages, My Old Man, The North Pole, and Thinking of a Dream I had were simply incredible. The rest of the album was a disappointment. I had high hopes for 2006's A Hundred Miles Off--it turned out to be a meandering disaster. Seriously, I rarely listen to it. So it was with a little reservation that I purchased their new album You and Me, which has been a very pleasant surprise. While the Walkmen are prone to meandering songs that sound like their half-finished, this album is more Bows + Arrows than a Hundred Miles Off and thats a good thing. I love On the Water, In the New Year, Seven Years of Holiday, Red Moon, and Long Time Ahead of Us. The rest of the songs are hit or miss, and some are just average. All in all, I'd recommend the album.

Confession -- I love singing this next song at the top of my lungs. I can't wait to annoy people at their concert here in October when I belt this out at the top of my lungs. This is their lead single, In the New Year.

SINGLE--IN THE NEW YEAR



LIVE VERSION



BONUS SONG--On the Water

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although we do not see i*2*i on many songs/bands/solo artist...I have to give it to you with Walkmen. I am starting to now jog, opposed to the usual evening walk around the tetrahedron, and therefore, I've become highly fond of this one song by Walkmen, entitled "This Job is Killing Me". You, I'm sure can relate to the title of the song, as do I. The beat is so intense (ideal for running) and the screaming kind of puts my feelings of wild anger at bay. (yes, I said wild anger...) Its a very theraputic song. I've enjoyed your blog.
Sincerely,
Not so anonymously, anonymous

 
Locations of visitors to this page