Saturday, November 17, 2007

Record Review--The Forms, "The Forms"

Its been 4 longs year since The Forms released the stellar Icarus album, which is an eternity in the music business. It had been so long since I had heard anything from them that I stopped researching them. It was much to my surprise that they even released an album. I thought they had broken up or something. So it was much to my surprise that I saw a new album released when I was going through my record catalogue catching up on old bands.

Their new album is amazing. Lush, orchestral, and complex, it is a serious step up from Icarus. Their sound is complex indie rock in the mold of Modest Mouse if Modest Mouse weren't so poppy. One of the best things about this band is they feature a lead singer with an octave range to rival an opera singer. Its refreshing to hear a band as polished as this. I recommend this album to everyone.

2007 has been a great year for music. From the new Radiohead album to the Lodger to the National's album of the year, Boxer, this has been the best year in music since 2001. The Forms self-titled LP only adds to the murderer's row of records released this year. In fact, its second only to Boxer in terms of merit.

FINAL SCORE--9.6

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page