Thursday, October 18, 2007

Record Review-- Radiohead "In Rainbows"



In the interests of full disclosure I must confess that Radiohead are my favorite band of all time. I have: (i) every song they've ever written on my iPod, either live or in the studio; (ii) two gigantic framed posters hanging in my place; and (iii) three custom and numbered Thom Yorke lithographs. OK Computer is and always will be my favorite album of all time. Two of their other albums are in my top 10 albums of all time. I follow their every move like I'm one step away from going Mark David Chapman on them--seriously, nobody send me a copy of Catcher In The Rye. Alright, maybe that last bit was a poor attempt at humor.

Seriously, though, I was hyped to get their new album "In Rainbows" when it debuted October 10 especially since their last album was such a disappointment. In their 7 album career, 2004's "Hail to the Thief" ranks as their worst album. The arrangements and lyrics were just plain boring. It was the first Radiohead record that really held no excitement. Each song seemed so forced. Even the best song on the album "Scttrbrain" was better redone as a remix by Four Tet on the Com Lag EP. Its an album that I rarely listen to.

Its with great excitement that I can report that "In Rainbows" is a return to form. We actually have Phil Selway back on drums. Although, its no OK Computer, it certainly bears some resemblance to that LP. Both Bodysnatchers and Videotape could easily have fitten on that LP. Fifteen Steps recalls bridges the gap between Kid A and OK Computer.

The album is not without missteps, however. House of Cards is probably the worst song Radiohead has ever written. Nude, while a very good song, becomes repetitive and is too reminiscent of Sail to the Moon from Amnesiac. Worst of all is the re-recording of Appregi/Weird Fishes. When I saw them perform this song live, the song reached an emotional crescendo at the end with Thom Yorke screaming "No Escape/No Escape" over and over again. Sadly, this has been removed from the album version removing some of the emotion from one of the saddest songs Radiohead has ever written.

Overall, it isn't any OK Computer, but its not nearly as bad as Hail to the Thief.

RATING-- 8.1

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page