Friday, May 23, 2008

Music Retrospective

In the spirit of The Libertine's recent retrospective here are some tunes from my youth - circa 1994-95 +/- a year or so. It's sort of strange to think back to what I listened to back then. I listened to my share of G N'R and Faith No More. I also don't think my taste in music is revolutionary or refined in any way. It's a short coming but I don't have the time or inclination to take a music history course or read books on the subject so I can have esoteric music arguments with people at parties and bars. I really don't care what band spawned what other band. If the music is good I'll listen and then do some poking around.

Anyway, here are four track that I remember distinctly enjoying at around the same time the Libertine mentioned he was enjoying Portishead, Public Image Limited, Michelle Shocked, the Pogues and the Sex Pistols.

Dinosaur Jr.- "Blowing It and I Live for That Look." I always loved how the two songs just melted into each other. (This version does not do have that cool guitar bridge.) Also, I always hated J Mascis's vocals and still do.



XTC - "Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead." Just liked this song back then.



Butthole Surfers - "Who Was In My Room Last Night." This video is better than I remember and now I actually understand parts of it. (i.e. - when the "girl" puts her panties on his head. I didn't get that at all. How naive I was! I think kids today would get that instantly. I don't know what kind of commentary that is on American society now but there it is.)

Note: Around 2:23 into the video the ambulance driving skeletons clearly look at each other and mouth "fuck!" when they see they are about to run a lollipop licking girl over. MTV censors didn't catch that one back in the day.



Eric Burdon and War - "Spill the Wine." I really liked Eric Burdon and the Animals/War. I found an old tape in my basement that was my Dad's and thought it sounded really cool in a retro psychedelic way and was the only kid I knew who like or knew of the group. I used this song in a skateboard video I made. The song is cool, the skateboard video was not.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page